If your high risk license is about to expire, or it expired less than 12 months ago,
it’s fairly straightforward to get a renewal through your local Workplace Health and Safety Authority. Here’s how.

Why you need to keep your HRW license current
High risk licenses are your passport to working with heavy or dangerous construction equipment.

Having your HRW or High Risk Work ticket shows your supervisor that you have the skills and knowledge to safely operate machinery such as cranes, forklifts and hoists, or that you know how to erect scaffolding and set up safety nets.

There are different types of HRW licenses available for different work, but all of them are valid for five years from the date of issue. This means that when your expiry date is coming up, you’ll need to look into how to renew your high risk work license.

Step 1 – Make sure your skills are still up to scratch
It’s a good idea to take a refresher course particularly if you haven’t used your HRW license recently, or if you’re moving into a different field of work or a different environment.

Going through a reputable RTO to gain a high risk work ticket will ensure you have the best training and the most up to date skills required by the industry.

We have a wide range of high risk courses available, covering most industries and offering basic through to advanced training depending on your needs. Take a look at some of the courses on offer here.

Step 2 – Get in touch with your local WHS authority

You can renew your high risk ticket within 12 months of the expiry date on your card, and this is typically done through a WHS authority such as SafeWorkNSW, Worksafe QLD and other state authorities.

The process to apply for a new licence is slightly different in each state, with some safety authorities requiring a paper form and some having an online process. You’ll typically need ID and a passport sized photo too.

It’s best to get in touch with your specific WHS authority to ensure you understand what the renewal process is in your area.

Step 3 – Complete the renewal form and pay the fee
Here is a list of links to the renewal process for each of the major state safety authorities. Most of these can be completed online.

SafeWork NSW
Worksafe QLD
Worksafe VIC
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety
SafeWork SA

A note on interstate renewals
HRW licenses are normally valid across State borders, meaning you can work anywhere in Australia no matter where you originally got your license.

Of course, it’s always a good idea to check with your local WHS authority anyway, as some states require you to transfer your licence if you move permanently interstate.

Help and advice on renewing your high risk work license
In line with Safe Work Australia guidelines, if you do not renew your licence within 12 months of its expiry date it can’t be renewed – except in exceptional circumstances. Instead, you will need to complete the qualification for the type of high risk work that you want to do before you can apply again.

To avoid this hassle, we recommend keeping an eye on the expiry date of your HRW license and not putting off your renewal.

Need advice? Give us a call if you have questions about workplace training, applying for licences, renewals and more.