You’ve done the training, passed the assessment and got your high risk license. Now you’re working hard, just getting on with the job and being a good employee… but are you keeping an eye on your licence expiry date?

Holding a current high risk work (HRW) licence is critical for any person working with heavy or dangerous construction equipment.

This includes equipment like forklifts, cranes, scaffolding, safety lines, precast concrete and hoists. In order to safely and legally use and erect this kind of equipment, you need to hold an HRW license, which can be obtained in any state of Australia and is typically valid for 5 years.

When does a high risk work licence expire?

Your HRW licence expires five years after the day it was granted.

If you let your high risk work licence expire, you are no longer legally allowed to complete dangerous work on site or use heavy equipment like cranes.

If you completed your high risk work training a few years ago it might be a good idea to check the expiry date.

Usually, the workplace health and safety regulator in your state (for example Workcover or Worksafe) will send you a renewal notice before your ticket expires. However, if you have moved house, changed email address or moved interstate over the past 5 years, you may not receive this notification.

It’s wise to keep an eye on your license expiry, particularly if you’ve changed your details recently.

What if I don’t renew my licence in time?

You have 12 months from the expiry date to renew your licence. In line with Safe Work Australia guidelines, if you do not renew your licence within 12 months of its expiry date it can’t be renewed – except in exceptional circumstances.

Instead, you will need to complete the qualification for the type of high risk work that you want to do before you can apply again.

So, to avoid having to enrol in another training course and start from the beginning, keep an eye on that expiry date!

What if my high risk licence is lost, damaged or stolen?

In most states of Australia, a high risk work (HRW) license can be replaced or renewed if it is lost or stolen. Note that there is typically a cost involved for a replacement ticket.

In NSW, if your licence has been lost or destroyed, you can order and pay for a replacement online, as long as your details are still matching those on your licence. The replacement licence will be posted to your home address.

The QLD workplace safety authority uses a similar system; where you can provide proof of identity online and apply for a replacement licence.

At the time of writing, replacement HRW licence fees are less than $40.

It’s important to know that these replacement scenarios apply to lost or stolen current licenses only – if you’ve lost or had stolen an expired license, you’ll still have to go through the usual renewal processes.

Get a high risk work license online

Contact our team or take a look at our selection of online high-risk work training to enrol in an HRW course.