What courses do I need?

Working around cranes and lifting equipment needs qualified workers, and qualifications are critical to reducing accidents and injuries while you’re on site. There are different types of courses available depending on the kind of career you want to pursue.

First up: complete a dogging course

A dogger slings the load safely and directs the crane operator with whistle/hand signals. A dogging course will equip you with skills and expertise to efficiently sling loads and direct crane operators in various situations. This is in addition to adhering to WHS Standards and Regulations.

Having adequate dogging training allows you to understand and conduct basic dogging tasks both in and out of the crane operator’s gaze, with the intent of adjusting and shifting loads. The course includes information such as which slings and straps to select, how to assess the size of a load and preserve its stability, and how to assist the crane operator when they can’t see their load.

Progress to a rigging qualification

Riggers help to erect and dismantle cranes on site. Riggers also use rigging machinery like pulleys, cranes, and hoists to support and transport hardware around construction sites.

They also erect temporary works such as cranes and structures on building sites, as well as relocating and erecting precast structures.  Some of their other responsibilities include:

  • Estimating object sizes and weights for movement and allocating the most suitable machine for the task
  • Erection of mobile crane booms and adjustment of the tower crane heights
  • Lifting, positioning and bolting together equipment
  • Attaching slinging equipment to the load that needs hoisting
  • Using cables, winches, ropes, pulleys, and other lifting equipment
  • Equipment inspection, maintenance, and repair
  • Lifting or erecting steel members or prefabricated concrete panels

To qualify to become a rigger, you need:

  • A construction induction card (white card)
  • Rigging license (after receiving training from a registered training organisation like Kallibr). Note that you can complete basic, intermediate or advanced rigging courses, depending on the kind of work you wish to undertake.
  • Depending on the job site, you might also need to complete other additional licenses such as a working at heights ticket or other high risk work licenses.

If you want to operate cranes: different types of crane licenses

To become a crane operator, you’ll need to do a specific course and get your license.

Because of the dangers of working with a crane without proper training, you must do this training and apply for a crane license, which is specific to the type of crane you’ll be operating. Some common crane operator courses include:

You’ll need to get the plastic wallet card High Risk Work (HRW) license after you’ve completed the necessary qualifications – this can be obtained from your local WHS authority such as WorkSafe Vic, WorkSafe QLD or Safe Work NSW.

Get your high risk work training done with Kallibr

When deciding which certification is right for you, think about the type of work you’d like to do and which equipment best suits those circumstances.

Kallibr specialises in offering realistic training environments for its students. We offer both a dogging course and rigging training courses as well as a range of different crane operator courses in NSW, VIC and QLD.