A forklift training course teaches you how to operate forklifts safely and efficiently
Knowing how to drive a forklift in the workplace means you can conduct your role of moving and placing goods quickly and efficiently, without causing any safety hazards for your team.
The best place to start learning about how to drive a forklift is by signing up for a forklift training course with a registered training organisation such as Kallibr.
In this article, we’ll give you a quick overview of what you will learn during forklift operator training and what happens once you’ve passed the course.
What is involved in a forklift training course?
Operating a forklift involves lifting, moving and stacking goods or materials. To do this job safely you’ll need to learn the proper safety procedures, how to use the controls, how to steer and also how to maintain and inspect the equipment before use.
You’ll also learn how to load and unload goods safely, including stacking and loading materials onto the tynes so that the forklift can operate at a safe capacity.
The most common forklift qualification is a High-Risk Work Licence (Class LF) for forklifts. This allows you to operate any forklift, including counterbalance, reach trucks and high reach forklifts within Australia.
In this 3 day course, you’ll learn:
- The skills and knowledge to plan and prepare for the work, including ensuring the operating surface, working area, environmental conditions, attachments, and path of traffic is suitable for the task
- How to communicate effectively with other people involved in the task, how to fill out logbooks and conduct pre-start checks
- How to position the load to ensure the weight and size complies with the forklift’s rated capacity, and how to monitor loads throughout the lifting and moving process
- How to respond to unsafe or unplanned situations
- How to finish jobs safely including parking and switch off, isolation and securing the equipment following safe work procedures.
What happens once I pass the course?
The forklift course includes a practical assessment which is undertaken under real-life conditions at our Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane training centres (or can be done at your workplace).
After passing the test you’ll receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment in TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck. This Statement means you are eligible to apply for an HRW licence (high risk work licence) Class LF, which can be obtained from your workplace safety authority (eg: SafeWork NSW, SafeWorkVIC, WorkSafe QLD).
What if I don’t pass?
If you do not pass your theory or practical test, you may need to attend additional training depending on your results – we’re happy to provide advice and support on how to arrange some extra training.
Sign up for a forklift training course today
With Kallibr you can book a single seat or book your whole team for forklift training! Select a date that suits you and make your online booking on our course info page.