If you’re studying nationally recognised training in Australia from 1 January 2015, you will be required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
What is a USI used for?
Once you hold USI you will be able to:
- Give your USI to each training organisation you study with
- View and update your details in your USI account
- View and download your training records and results (transcript) from early 2016 onwards
- Manage who can view your transcript
If you do not already have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) and you authorise Kallibr Training (RTO 32365) to apply for a USI to the Student Identifiers Registrar (Registrar) on your behalf, we will provide to the Registrar the following items of personal information about you:
- your name, including first or given name(s), middle name(s) and surname or family name as they appear in an identification document;
- your date of birth, as it appears, if shown, in the chosen document of identity;
- your city or town of birth;
- your country of birth;
- your gender; and
- your contact details.
What happens next?
When we apply for a USI on your behalf the Registrar will verify your identity.
The Registrar will do so through the Document Verification Service (DVS) managed by the Attorney-General’s Department which is built into the USI online application process if you have documents such as a Medicare card, birth certificate, driver licence, Australian passport, citizenship document, certificate of registration by descent, ImmiCard or Australian entry visa.
If you don’t have the appropriate ID
If you do not have a document suitable for the DVS and we are authorised to do so by the Registrar we may be able to verify your identity by other means.
If you do not have any of the identity documents mentioned above, and we are not authorised by the Registrar to verify your identity by other means, we cannot apply for a USI on your behalf and you should contact the Student Identifiers Registrar.
In accordance with section 11 of the Student Identifiers Act 2014 Cth (SI Act), we will securely destroy personal information which we collect from you solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf as soon as practicable after the USI application has been made or the information is no longer needed for that purpose, unless we are required by or under any law to retain it.
The personal information about you that we provide to the Registrar, including your identity information, is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 Cth (Privacy Act). The collection, use and disclosure of your USI are protected by the SI Act.
If you ask WH&S More Skills to make an application for a student identifier on your behalf, WH&S More Skills will have to declare that WH&S More Skills has complied with certain terms and conditions to be able to access the online student identifier portal and submit this application, including a declaration that WH&S More Skills has given you the following privacy notice:
You are advised and agree that you understand and consent that the personal information you provide to us in connection with your application for a USI:
is collected by the Registrar for the purposes of:
- applying for, verifying and giving a USI;
- resolving problems with a USI; and
- creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts;
may be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- the purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs;
- education-related policy and research purposes; and
- to assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- VET Admission Bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs;
- current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- the National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- any enity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- will not otherwise be disclosed without your consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
Find out more
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about an interference with privacy pursuant to the Privacy Act, which includes the following:
- misuse or interference of or unauthorised collection, use, access, modification or disclosure of USIs; and
- a failure by Us to destroy personal information collected by you only for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf.